Tuesday 16 June 2009

Walnut dolphin

SWMBO seen a carving - good one of a dolphin. When she asked if I'd give one a try I knew better than to offer a negative reply. Then she added, " in that bonny wood". Walnut.!!! What the hell. I asked around and got every response from do n't go there to its the best of carving wood. Anyhow I paid for some imported wood, American Black walnut and I've got to say its great to carve. So two pluses I 've learned a bit and also gained brownie points from Janice.

2 comments:

The Great Ethan Allen said...

It looks great! The only down side I can think of is that it is rather expensive, unless you can find a downed tree on your own. ( we have LOTS of trees in the U.S.) But for us poor people, furniture quality walnut is one of the premium priced woods. I have never carved it so I don't know it's qualities, but All the carvings I have ever seen look really great!

Tom H said...

Great piece of work. I think walnut is my favorite wood. I have only power carved it. The "softness" of the finish just jumps out at you.